High School students in the state of Pennsylvania are invited to prepare a 30-second video submission inviting participation in every election and encouraging attention to local, less-publicized races.
THEME: What Makes Democracy Work?
PRIZE: $1000 for top entry; $500 second prize; $250 third prize.
WHO: Any high school student or group of students (grades 9-12) in the state of Pennsylvania. Participants are ineligible if directly related to the panel of judges for the contest. (List of judges will be posted by the start of the contest on January 15).
LENGTH: 30-seconds (points subtracted for seconds under or over)
FORMAT: Any format supported by YouTube upload.
WHEN: Contest submissions must be uploaded to YouTube and entry and release forms received by email before midnight, March 1, 2018. Top ten finalists will be announced on April 2 and will have ten days to submit signed participant release forms. Winners will be announced by April 15, 2018.
HOW TO GET STARTED: Read and review FAQs and the Submission Process, Rules and Disclosures page, discuss your plans with parents or guardians, then create a video. Upload your video to YouTube, then complete the online entry form. The top ten finalists will be contact on April 2 and given ten days to submit a signed participant release forms for each participant. Detailed instructions are on the Submission Process page.
JUDGES: We are pleased to announce the following judges for our 2018 Video Contest:
- Susan Carty, President League of Women Voters of PA
- Secretary of State Robert Torres
- Senator Art Haywood
- Timothy Benyo, Election Director, Lehigh County
- Andrew Conte, Director, Center for Media Innovation, Point Park University
- Francine Schertzer, Vice President of Programming, PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network)
- Lindsay Lazarski, multimedia journalist, WHYY/Keystone Crossroads
- Emma Restrepo, freelance journalist, host “Para Ti Mujer” Radio Program on ElZol Radio Station
- Bryan Mercer, Executive Director, Media Mobilizing Project
Please address other questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Past winners can be seen on our LWVPA Video Contest channel.