Position in Brief:
LWVPA supports measures that enable local governments to operate more effectively.
Position in Detail:
The League believes:
- Further fragmentation of local governments in Pennsylvania should be discouraged.
- Criteria for assigning, limiting, or sharing governmental functions and powers should be based on:
- Geographic area and characteristics;
- Population size and/or density;
- Economy and efficiency of performance;
- Financial resources;
- The need for a regional approach;
- Responsiveness to citizens.
Community identity and current performance should be considered. Criteria should be used selectively in evaluating functions and powers.
Under a county or area home rule charter, a local municipality may be excluded only if it meets or exceeds standards of performance set by charter government.