Position in Brief:
Support the maximum protection of public health and the environment in all aspects of Marcellus Shale natural gas production; prevent the burdening of taxpayers with costs of industrialization and unanticipated consequences.
The League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania supports the maximum protection of public health and the environment in all aspects of Marcellus Shale natural gas extraction, storage, transmission, waste disposal, inspection, and enforcement. The League further advocates for transparency and responsiveness to stakeholder input in all aspects of natural resources management.
The League supports the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Ruling (December 2013) based on Amendment One (I), Section 27 of the Pennsylvania Constitution as enacted in 1972 which promises: …a right to clean air, pure water, and to the preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and esthetic values of the environment. Pennsylvania’s public natural resources are the common property of all the people, including generations yet to come. As trustee of these resources, the Commonwealth shall conserve and maintain them for the benefit of all the people.
More information on Shale Gas: http://www.shalepalwv.org
- February 19, 2013
Protecting the Environment
- Natural Gas Extraction from Shale – Introduction (pdf)
- Natural Gas Extraction from Marcellus Shale: From the Ground to the Customer (pdf) (Part I of Study Guide)
- Natural Gas Extraction from Marcellus Shale: Environmental Impact (pdf) (Part II of Study Guide)
- Natural Gas Extraction from Marcellus Shale: Its Economic Impact (pdf) (Part III of Study Guide)
- Taxing Natural Gas Extraction from Marcellus Shale (pdf) (Part IV of Study Guide)
- Regulation and Permitting of Natural Gas Drilling (pdf) (Part V of Study Guide)
- Complete Marcellus Shale Study in One PDF File (pdf) (Complete Study Guide)
Addenda to Marcellus Shale Natural Gas Extraction Study Guide:
- League of Women Voters
- State Impact Pennsylvania
- Pipeline (Specialty News Site)
- Selected Natural Gas Reference Resources (pdf)
Other Useful Websites or Coalition Partners:
- Advisory Boards related to Water Issues
- DEP Water Resources Advisory Committee – Edie Stevens representative
- DEP Small Water Systems Technical Advisory Center Board – Julie Kollar. Representative with Edie Stevens as alternate
- Federal Advisory Committee for Water Information – Edie Stevens appointed by LWVUS. Purpose is to improve water information for decision making about natural resources management and environmental protection. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum No. 92-01 designates the Department of the Interior, through the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), as the lead agency. Other Federal organizations that fund, collect, or use water resources information work together with the USGS to implement program recommendation.
- PA Campaign for Clean Water – Formed in 2002, the Pennsylvania Campaign for Clean Water is a coalition of over 130 environmental, conservation, sporting, and religious groups from all corners of the state that speaks in one voice in support of federal and state policies to protect and restore PA’s water resources.
- American Association of University Women – specific to Marcellus Shale position